La Grande Bellezza: The great beauty is Rome itself, or I got the film terribly wrong

When watching this film, I ended up asking where did they find these beautiful places to film, they are not in any guide and I spent a lot of time in Rome. And I got the answer, they probably went two blocks away from the city centre. Indeed, Rome is an unending great beauty, but what about the film?

Frankly, what about the film is none of my business. I should say I really enjoyed the film, the acting, the scenario, it is a great example of Italian cinema, but I am not here with the identity of a film critic. I am writing as an admirer of Rome and linen suits. I believe, before filming, the director, Paolo Sorrentino and the cinematographer, Luca Bigazzi, elaborately searched Rome, and found these beautiful places, the rooftops facing the Coliseum,  gardens located under aqueducts, beautiful churches, monasteries and mansions.  But further credit shall be given to the costume and wardrobe department that tailored those beautiful linen suits for Jef Gambardella, for completing the beautiful scenery of Rome.

At the end that is what Rome is about, it is a grand beauty, whose beauty is only complete with the addition of middle aged men in colorful linen suits, searching for a meaning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Need to Eat in Your Hotel: 4 Great Breakfast Options in Prague

Greenwich Royal Observatory with a Guided Tour

Brighton, UK: Storms, Sun and Impromptu Picnics